Monday, June 1, 2009

The Perfect BLT

By 2:30 p.m. my stomach grumbled loudly as I looked for someplace to grab a bite. I finally found a diner full of customers and the BLT on the menu almost immediately caught my eye. My daughters called to say Happy Mother's Day as I waited for my sandwich, allowing me to forget my hunger for a few moments. When it arrived, I knew I'd made the right choice.

Creamy mayonnaise slathered thick-cut bacon, juicy tomato slices and fresh romaine piled high between three slices of toasted bread. It's no wonder they needed a toothpick to hold this club sandwich together. Paired with fries, it was a daunting amount of food. As I bit into my second triangle I mourned the fact that, because I would be traveling throughout the day, I had no way to refrigerate and save the portion I couldn't finish. Such are the challenges of road trips!

BLTs always make me think of summer, and somehow send me back to Mom's blue and white kitchen with the antique corner china cabinet, where five of us crowded around the table to share this quick dinner on hot evenings. Although I don't remember toasted bread in our sandwiches my husband does and his also included a slice of American cheese.

What's in your ultimate BLT?

No comments: