Thursday, April 30, 2009

Blue Alfredo with Chicken and Artichokes

I was determined to eat lunch at home today, despite the fact that our refrigerator is growing quite bare in preparation for our trip next week. I foraged until I found one lonely artichoke heart, some unseasoned pre-cooked chicken from several days ago, a few garlic cloves, fresh-grated Parmesan and blue cheese. And the milk needed to be used up because it was nearing the expiration date. After I found 1 1/2 boxes of pasta in my cupboard, the wheels started turning.

On this cool, rainy, and gray day, how could I satisfy my tastebuds without spending a dime? What I ended up with was a rich (tho' not too rich) and satisfying pasta sauce that is definitely worth a repeat - maybe even for company!

Blue Alfredo with Chicken and Artichokes
Makes one large serving

1 large clove of garlic, minced
1/2 tablespoon butter
1/2 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup lowfat milk
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
2 artichoke hearts, finely diced
1/2 cup cooked chicken, finely diced
1 tablespoon blue cheese crumbles

cooked pasta

Saute garlic in butter over medium high heat, until it browns slightly; 1-2 minutes. Add flour and stir together until smooth. Stir in milk continuously until a thickened sauce emerges - about 5-7 minutes. Add Parmesan and stir until melted. Stir in artichoke hearts and chicken. Pour over cooked pasta and top with blue cheese. Serve with fresh green beans or a crisp salad.

No comments: