Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Pink Lemonade Cupcakes

Without cupcake suggestions from readers, I decided I'd take things into my own hands yesterday and create a new one that appealed to my tastebuds. The forecast calls for 90-ish temperatures several times in the next few days and I often think of lemonade when summer heat comes along. But there's something especially appealing to me about pink lemonade, which I decided to make the focus of this latest recipe.

Since pink lemons aren't easy to come by and are rarely used to make lemonade (see related story, http://www.chow.com/stories/10790), it seemed like my best option was lemonade concentrate. So, after allowing a large can to thaw for several hours I went to work creating my latest summer-worthy cupcake - and loved the results. A friend who's a caterer also liked them and my husband ate two within minutes. See if you agree with us:

Pink Lemonade Cupcakes
Makes about 18 cupcakes

1/2 cup oatmeal
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon almond extract
3/4 cup pink lemonade concentrate, thawed
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup yogurt
1/4 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grind oatmeal to flour consistency in food processor. Add all other ingredients and blend thoroughly.

Fill 18 cupcake papers, 2/3s full of batter. Bake for 28-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely and ice with:

2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 3/4 - 2 cups confectioner's sugar
5 tablespoons pink lemonade concentrate
2 drops red food coloring

Combine cream cheese and butter and then add concentrate, stirring well. Slowly add confectioner's sugar and blend thoroughly. Add food coloring and stir in until icing is just the right shade of pink. ENJOY!

VOE - Refrigerate leftover cupcakes due to cream cheese and lemonade concentrate.

No comments: