Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Less is More

When your kids live halfway across the country, sending homemade baked goods that won't break in the mail can be a challenge. For my daughter's last birthday, I decided brownies might travel more successfully than cookies would. I took the best of two recipes and then made some additional adjustments.

Not only did my daughter and her friends go crazy for the 'birthday brownies,' but a friend's dad tried one and absolutely raved over it. "I consider myself a brownie expert," he said, "and these are the best brownies I've ever eaten."

Of course my daughter wanted the recipe and that's when I told her using less sugar, butter, and flour than in the original recipes had likely resulted in the very fudgy texture, and deep chocolate flavor. A few substitutions even made the brownies a bit healthier, including olive oil for some of the butter, and ground oatmeal for some of the flour.

For all you chocoholics out there, here are Ultra Fudge Brownies:

4 squares unsweetened chocolate
1 stick unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup ground oatmeal
1 cup chopped nuts, optional
1 cup white chocolate chips

Microwave chocolate and butter in large bowl on HIGH, for two minutes or until the butter is melted; or you may use a double boiler. Stir the chocolate until it is melted and then stir in the olive oil.

Stir in the sugar and mix in the eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, oatmeal, white chocolate chips and nuts. Spread in a greased 9 x 13 pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Pour chocolate chips across the entire pan of batter. Bake and additional 15-20 minutes and do not overbake. Cool completely before cutting. Makes 24 brownies.

4 comments:

Robbie said...

ok, where do I find wheat pastry flour?

funkyp said...

How much sugar is used?

lisa waterman gray said...

I get whole wheat pastry flour at Whole Foods Market, in their bulk bins.


Lisa

lisa waterman gray said...

Use 1 1/2 cups sugar.


Lisa